Solar energy is becoming popular, and many people are now switching to it to save money and help the environment. But, as in any growing industry, there are some dishonest sellers lurking. They are known as fly-by-night solar sellers. This blog will explain who these bad actors are and how you can avoid them.
What Are Fly-By-Night Solar Sellers?
They are solar sellers who are dishonest or ‘represent’ fake solar companies. They try to take advantage of people’s interest in solar energy to make quick money. Here are some things they might do:
- Offer prices that are much lower than those of other companies to attract customers.
- Operate without a real office or only accept cash to avoid getting caught.
- Use flashy ads to get people’s attention, with no plan of keeping their promises.
- Not know or care about the local rules for solar energy because they don’t plan to stay around.
How Can You Avoid Them?
Staying away from these bad solar sellers requires some careful steps. Here’s what you can do:
- Look them up: Before choosing a solar company, look for reviews online on sites like Yelp or Google Reviews
- Check their documents: Make sure the solar company has a real business license and insurance. Ask them for references and talk to their previous customers if possible.
- Compare prices: Get price quotes from different solar companies to know the average price. Be careful if a quote is much lower than others.
- Visit their office. If you can, visit the solar company’s office to see if it’s real. Ask questions to see if they know what they’re talking about.
- Understand the deal: Read the agreement carefully before signing anything. Make sure it mentions warranties and other important details.
- Be careful with payment. Don’t pay the full amount upfront. It’s better to have a payment plan based on the work done.
What to Look Out For?
Watch out for these warning signs:
- Promises that sound too good to be true.
- They stop talking to you or become hard to reach after getting paid.
- No customer reviews or photos of past projects.
Solar energy can save you money and is beneficial for our planet. But falling for a scam can turn it into a bad experience. By being careful and following these tips, you can find a reputable solar company and enjoy the benefits of solar energy well into the future.